(8/10) Guitar wizard Ace Frehley took a bunch of songs that influenced him and his style, recorded his version of those classics and put them on a new album entitled "Origins Vol. 1". The immediate question is, if there will be more of these releases in the future, a question we can't answer.
Anyhow, Ace Frehley took songs from various bands, beginning with Cream and The Kinks, via the Stones up to Thin Lizzy. An interesting sidenote is the fact that Frehley has chosen "Magic Carpet Ride" from Steppenwolf, instead of playing safe with "Born to be Wild". Good choice.
Surprising or not, there are with "Parasite", "Cold Gin" and "Rock'n'Roll Hell" also three Kiss tracks on this release. Each of these classics is more than just covering these milestones in rock history, they all bear the hallmarks of Ace Frehley. It's his rocking and unique guitar sound combined with his typical vocals that makes the twelve tracks to 'Frehley songs'.
But what is really interesting on this longplayer is Frehley and Paul Stanley performing one song together ("Fire and Water" from Free). It is the first time in 18 years that these two legendary sixstringers can be heard on one song.
Next to the mentioned collaboration with Paul Stanley, Frehley also teamed-up with Slash for performing Thin Lizzy's "Emerald", Lita Ford joins with guitar and vcoals on "Wild Thing" while John 5 can be heard on "Parasite" (check out the guitar solo!), all produced in a way that keeps the old spirit by using modern technics.
All in all "Origins Vol. 1" isn't more than an album with covers, but it belongs the really good ones. For older fans, this album is almost a kind of musical time capsule while it might be the trigger for younger fans to dive into a time they never experienced. Cool stuff and the right soundtrack for long rockin' summer nights.
1. White Room (original by Cream) 5:04
2. Street Fighting Man (original by The Rolling Stones) 4:00
3. Spanish Castle Magic (original by Jimi Hendrix, feat. John 5) 3:34
4. Fire and Water (original by Free, feat. Paul Stanley) 4:11
5. Emerald (original by Thin Lizzy, feat. Slash), 4:28
6. Bring It On Home (original by Led Zeppelin) 4:25
7. Wild Thing (original by The Troggs, feat. Lita Ford) 3:44
8. Parasite (Kiss, feat. John 5) 4:04
9. Magic Carpet Ride (original by Steppenwolf) 3:43
10. Cold Gin (Kiss, feat. Mike McCreedy) 5:17
11. Till The End Of The Day (original by The Kinks) 2:26
12. Rock N Roll Hell (Kiss) 6:32
Release Date EU: April 15th, 2016